Monday 17 September 2012

History

1998 BMW E36/4 328i


 
 
My first real attraction to BMW's came shortly after I got my drivers license when I was 16. I started looking around for my first car to purchase. I looked at several cars including a Mercedes-Benz 190E and an old Jaguar. Then one day I found a beautiful, and I mean beautiful, black 1986 633 CSI for sale. The asking price was a lot more then I was able to spend but i took a look at it anyway. It had a black interior and a 5 speed manual gearbox. It was an amazing car, and I sill remember it quite clearly to this day.
 
I ended up purchasing an old 1986 Mercedes-Benz 190E. It was white with medium brown interior. It was in fairly good shape for its age, but the true mileage was unkown as the odometer had stopped working. First "mod" I did with that car was repaint the bumpers black as they had faded over time. The second and only other mod I did was get clear corner lights. That started my obsession with German cars and modding. However, i still had not forgotten that 633 CSI.
 
I drove the 190E for about a year and a half. One day it started running rough and eventually ended up having fuel problems. I spent around $1,500 trying to get it running right but it never did. For some reason it was only running on the #2 and #4 cylinders. This meant however I needed to start looking for another car. The search ended up with me looking at an older 1994 325i Sedan. I quite liked it, but I felt the asking price was a little high, as it was the same price as the 633 CSI I had looked at 2 years prior. I kept looking and found a gorgeous black E36 M3 Coupe. However, with an asking price of $25,000 in 2005, that wasnt going to happen. Eventually I went back to look at that 325i. I finally saved up enough money and borrowed some from my bank. I went in to make a deposit on the car one day in the afternoon. Just my luck, someone had came and made a deposit that morning on the car. While a little upset, I wasnt devastated. The dealer also had a stunning 1998 E36 328i on the lot. The asking price was $3,000 more then I was willing to spend.

I loved the color right from the start, as it was a gorgeous Burgandy color. The interior was beige but was in incredible shape. This was a lot nicer then the 325i, and had more power too. Even better, he was willing to offer me the car for the same price as the Alpine White 325i.

This is were my story with my E36 begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment